Jean and I are the CAFOD focal points for Christ The King. We try to promote CAFOD’s role within the parish, and an important part of this is providing information that may be useful or helpful to any who wish to find out about CAFOD’s work. We will use this spot on the parish web-site to say a bit more about events or campaigns, or meetings that we have attended, and try to give a picture that’s fuller than can be put in the bulletin or pinned to the noticeboard. We hope you find it interesting and, maybe, useful. We’ll update it weekly or fortnightly and would welcome any thoughts or questions you may have in response – our number is 419439. Mark Wallis
This Lent Family Fast Day, Friday 26th February, there will be a renewed focus on water – the difficulties many have in accessing reliable supplies of clean, fresh water. In the appeal, we hear about Abdella, who walks ten hours a day to find water for his family. He lives in an extremely remote and mountainous part of Ethiopia. He says his life is being wasted as he has no time for anything else.
Anything you can donate will help vulnerable communities around the world have access to clean water and provide other vital support. (And, incidentally, if you are thinking that he should simply move his family nearer to a water supply, well, it’s not that simple, and there’s a short piece on the CAFOD web-site to explain why).
You can donate in different ways this Lent:
- online at cafod.org. uk/give, or
- by phone text by texting LENT to 70460 - this will donate £10 (if you would like to donate £10 in this way but do not wish to receive information from CAFOD, please text LENTNOINFO to 70460). If you’d like to donate a different amount by phone text, text LENT20 to give £20.
- Some envelopes will also be available at the back of church: these may be left in the sacristy or in the presbytery.
A donation of £10 would be enough for sturdy water containers to store clean water safely. The appeal will remain open during Lent, so you may donate at any time.
Other ways of contributing this Lent:
- A few ‘Lent boxes’ are available at the back of church for your loose change. Jam jars work equally well!
- Jean has started her challenge of walking 10,000 steps every day for the 40 days of Lent. If you'd like to sponsor her, you can do so via a Just Giving page - the link is https://walk.cafod.org.uk/fundraising/walk-for-water1251 - or go to Just Giving and search for Jean Wallis.
- In these locked down times, could you donate the money you are not spending on, say, haircuts, coffees, or visits to the cinema? Or consider dropping £1 a day into that jar!
- If you’d like to respond with your own activity, that’s brilliant. Or you can take part in a one-day event, at 2pm on Saturday 20 February, joining others - virtually - to walk 5kms, 10,000 steps, or a distance to suit you. Do let us know if you'd like more information or you are interested in taking part - Jean or Mark on 419439. Thank you.